Header Ads

Murder case proceedings derailed as vehicles carrying detainees, witnesses crash near Yong Peng

BATU PAHAT: Seven policemen and four detainees they were escorting to the Muar High Court, were injured when an MPV and police van they were travelling in collided with each other this morning.
In the 8.40am incident at Km123.4 of the North-South Expressway near Yong Peng, the two police vehicles were on their way from Kluang to the Muar High Court where the four detainees had court proceedings scheduled.
Batu Pahat police chief Assistant Commissioner Abdul Wahib Musa said the police MPV, which was escorting the police van, was trying to avoid another vehicle, a Toyota Hilux which had swerved off the road and was stranded on the emergency lane.
“The MPV lost control and was hit by the van, causing both vehicles to end up in the drain on the left side of the expressway.
“The two policemen in the MPV escaped with minor injuries while another two policemen were also injured. One of the policemen in the van broke his right leg.
"The van occupants, comprising three policemen and four detainees, as well as the driver and passenger of the Hilux escaped with minor injuries,” said Wahib.
He said the Hilux’s 26-year-old driver and his passenger were witnesses in a murder case that involved all four detainees in the van.
The three vehicles were in a convoy headed to the same destination.
“It was raining heavily at the time of the incident. The road was slippery and visibility was limited,” said Wahib.
One of the seven policemen, Lance Corporal Mohd Ridhuwan Md Nasir is currently being treated at the accident and emergency unit for a broken right leg.
"Initial checks showed that Ridhuwan drove the police van, and was pinned in the wreckage. He could be warded at the Sultanah Nora Ismail Ismail for further treatment," said Wahib.
Another policeman, Lance Corporal Wingley Ahew, underwent an X-ray at a clinic in Jalan Mengkibol, Kluang.
As for two other policemen, comprising head escort Sargeant Shabani Kassim and Corporal Mohd Rafil Alias, who sustained minor injuries, were allowed to go home.
It was learnt that the remaining three policemen, Corporal Mohd Hafiz Salleh, Corporal Mohd Fairos Mat Ariffin, and Corporal Abd Hamid Ali, escaped unhurt.
"The detainees received outpatient treatment at the Enche' Besar Hajjah Khalsom Hospital in Kluang. They later continued their journey and were escorted to the court house. Their case was postponed till next month," he said.
He said the case is being investigated under Section 43(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for careless and inconsiderate driving.

MAIN SPONSOR : Online Casino Malaysia88GASIA

No comments