Header Ads


PM: Direct funding process reason for MRT 'success story'

KUALA LUMPUR: The Sungai Buloh-Kajang (SBK) MRT Line was a "success story" because the project was carried out via a direct funding process and not through concessionaires, says Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (pic).
He said this method allowed the Government to monitor and control the construction of the MRT line more closely, which commenced in July 2011.
Phase one of the MRT Line connecting Sungai Buloh and Semantan began operations in December last year, while the second and final phase extending to Kajang began operations last Monday.
"A good structure in terms of governance, financing, and implementation were significant factors that led to the success of the MRT project," Najib said in response to a question from Simpang Renggam MP Liang Teck Meng at the Dewan Rakyat on Monday.
Najib, who is Pekan MP, said that the establishment of an executive committee (exco) to oversee the MRT project also proved crucial in ensuring that any allocation issues and constraints concerning the project could be resolved quickly.
The exco was led by Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Dr Ali Hamsa and representatives of other Government agencies, as well as officers from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and the National Audit Department.
"This ensured that the project was managed with a high level of transparency and integrity," he said.
In response to a follow-up question from Ong Kian Ming (DAP-Serdang) on the cost of the entire project, the Prime Minister said there was no cause for dispute as everything was carried out in a transparent manner.
"As for certain parties claiming that the project was a waste of funds and such, that is merely their political opinion," he added.

No comments

JavaScript